<<< back to article list

Can't Pay Your Property Taxes? Apply for a Property Tax Deferment.

  • +1

Blog by Liz Penner | January 6th, 2017

Property Tax Deferment

Once you receive your property tax notice, you may be able to apply for a low-interest loan to pay the property taxes on your principal residence for the current year. There are two programs you may qualify for:

  • Regular Program
    You may qualify for this program if you are:

    • 55 or older during the current year
    • A surviving spouse of any age
    • A person with disabilities
  • Families with Children Program
    You may qualify for this program if you are a parent, stepparent or financially supporting a child

You can apply to defer a portion or all of your residential (class 1) or residential and farm (class 1 and 9) property taxes after the Home Owner Grant is deducted. If you qualify for the Home Owner Grant, you must apply for it separately every year.

If your application is approved, the Province pays your unpaid property taxes for the current year on your behalf.

For more information go to: https://housingaction.gov.bc.ca/tile/property-tax-deferment/